The Department was introduced in 1958 at the very onset of the College and is, thus, one of the oldest departments in the College . At present the faculty consists of 2 Associate Professors and 6 Assistant Professors. The Department is responsible for teaching English subject in all other disciplines from Science, Arts and Commerce streams.
Over the years, the Department has produced excellent students, many becoming influential figures both within the state and outside. The primary aim of the department is to facilitate language teaching as well as to enhance better appreciation and understanding of literature and research.
The Department also has a fully functional Language Laboratory with 30+2 computers with the latest technology in Language-teaching Courses. Applied Courses in Spoken English Classes are conducted by the Department.